Commonwealth Games 2014 Athletes' Village
The Commonwealth Games Athletes’ Village is the first large scale carbon neutral project in Scotland and has two key objectives:
• Regeneration of Glasgow’s East End with a new approach to sustainable housing
• Reduction of fuel poverty and creation of affordable heat in one of the poorest parts of the city
- The Commonwealth Games Athletes’ Village comprises 700 new homes joined to a local district heating system, housed in a purpose built new Energy Centre.
- The village will, post-Games, become an eco-friendly community with both private and social housing residents in a family and pedestrian-friendly environment.
- The Village will have state-of-the-art ICT providing a model for other developments to follow.
Key Winning Elements of the project:
- Political leadership with a long term approach - The project is a central element of Glasgow’s political commitment to a 30% carbon reduction target by 2020 from 2006 levels, as set out in the Sustainable Glasgow report (the city’s Sustainable Energy Action Plan, or SEAP) in 2010.
- Collaboration and dialogue with all stakeholders - This project features strong integration between the private and public sectors. By working together, the stakeholders have transformed a brownfield, derelict site into an attractive urban environment.
- Contribution to multiple policy objectives -the Athletes Village aims to contribute to objectives such as: Carbon emissions reduction, transformation of brownfield sites, generation of employment, tackling fuel poverty and supporting affordable warmth and improving social housing
- Business models to attract investment - model used is a partnership between public and private sectors, split into pre-Games, during the Games and post-Games structures. Overall, the financing of the project is split on an 80/20 basis between the Scottish Government and Glasgow City Council.
To read a full report on Athletes' Village and why it is a good example of a Lighthouse initiative click here.
More information on the 2014 Commonwealth Games Athletes' Village is available here.
Energy Centre - Athletes' Village